Ever try to log onto a cisco switch console with a blue rollover cable on Windows 8.1? I had the problem of my USB-to-serial not working until I found this driver. Putty works great now!
1. Download the driver Profilic_Win8_x64_x86 and extract it
2. Open Device Manager3. Expand Ports (COM & LPT)
4. Right click device name Prolifc USB-to-Serial Comm Port and select Property
5. Select Driver tab
6. Click Update Driver
7. Choose Browse my computer for driver software
8. Choose Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
9. Click Have Disk
10. Choose the folder that you extracted from the downloaded zip file.
11. Choose file “ser2pl.inf” and click Open
12. Click OK
13. After successfully installed restart your PC.