Network config for Ubuntu 16.04. From the horse’s mouth.
Ever try to log onto a cisco switch console with a blue rollover cable on Windows 8.1? I had the problem of my USB-to-serial not working until I found this driver. Putty works great now!
1. Download the driver Profilic_Win8_x64_x86 and extract it
2. Open Device Manager3. Expand Ports (COM & LPT)
4. Right click device name Prolifc USB-to-Serial Comm Port and select Property
5. Select Driver tab
6. Click Update Driver
7. Choose Browse my computer for driver software
8. Choose Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
9. Click Have Disk
10. Choose the folder that you extracted from the downloaded zip file.
11. Choose file “ser2pl.inf” and click Open
12. Click OK
13. After successfully installed restart your PC.
I was struggling with having Unix machines obtain reserved IP addresses from our Cisco DHCP server, until I found this link. At the end of the page, mkonarski3 mentions the following:
use “hardware-address” (don’t put the 01 in front just the mac addr xxxx.xxxx.xxxx) for your unix box and “client-identifier” for your windows box…
The Ubuntu desktop picked up the reserved/desired address first shot!